Turmeric is a popular spice that is derived from an herb called the Curcuma Longa. It has been used as a healing remedy for thousands of years.
It is typically orange-yellow in color with a root-like structure that can be found in various forms like dry yellow powder, tablets, or a liquid extract.
Turmeric is known to be used in home treatments for minor health problems but has also found its way into dental care for many purposes.
For this reason, turmeric is safe to use orally and even works better than other available tooth treatments for some people.
Can You Use Turmeric for Teeth Whitening?
Many studies explore the health benefits of turmeric, but there is no scientific evidence to support the use of turmeric for teeth whitening. Researchers suggest that the natural properties of turmeric may fight oral health conditions and keep gum disease under control.
Despite turmeric being known for its oral benefits, it is always better to talk with Dr. Maestri, the dentist in Lafayette, LA, to get the best professional advice.
7 Oral Benefits of Using Turmeric
- Eases inflammation. Turmeric toothpaste can be used to both treat and prevent inflammation caused by gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Reduces risk of gum disease. Turmeric paste can heal and repair damaged gum tissue and help to keep gum disease under control.
- Controls bacteria. Turmeric is known to reduce the presence of bacteria that causes cavities by combining turmeric with the sealants used to protect the teeth.
- Detects plaque. Turmeric’s natural vibrant color can help to show where your plaque is located by making it become more visible to the dentist when a certain light device is used.
- Decreases precancerous lesions. Using a higher dose of concentrated turmeric is known to significantly lessen the presence and symptoms of precancerous sores and lesions.
- Drug delivery system. Turmeric has been found to effectively help deliver drugs to treat various dental problems as well as soothe the gums.
- Reduces mouth ulcers. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis, or RAS, are very painful mouth ulcers that come and go. Turmeric is a known remedy that is used to help reduce the pain and other symptoms of mouth ulcers.
Turmeric truly stands out in its oral healthcare benefits, making it useful for home dental care. It is a completely natural product that promotes good oral care to help prevent gingivitis.
Turmeric is also known to have antioxidants and healing qualities that help to treat different health conditions other than dental care. Turmeric is being recognized more for its ability to fight inflammation and aid in warding off certain diseases.
It has been used for a wide variety of medical situations. Some countries have even adopted the use of turmeric as a medicine because of its healing powers. According to WebMD, turmeric also heals a variety of health issues, such as:
- Treats the digestive system
- Helps to rid gallstones
- Helps joint pain
- Lowers cholesterol
- Cleanses the liver
- Helps with mental issues such as depression and anxiety
- Eases menstrual problems
Even though turmeric has many oral health benefits, it should not replace proper oral hygiene care, such as brushing and flossing your teeth, as well as visiting Maestri Dental regularly for dental exams and cleanings.
See also: Teeth Whitening: Go Professional!
Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri has over 16 years of dental experience and is dedicated to providing the best oral care to meet the needs of the whole family in the Acadiana area.
You and your family are in good hands with Maestri Dental and our highly trained staff. For a healthy smile, get on board with us!