DENTAL IMPLANT RESTORATIONS IN LAFAYETTE
dental implants: the gold standard for tooth replacement
Although dental implant technology was first developed in the 1950s, this innovative procedure didn’t gain traction with a widespread audience until advances in treatment planning and materials took place in the 1990s. Since then, millions of patients have enjoyed the unparalleled stability and security offered by dental implants. As opposed to other dental prosthetics that rest on top of the gums, such as dentures and bridgework, dental implants are surgically inserted into the jawbone, creating a strong base upon which Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri DDS can secure a number of prostheses.
the implant procedure
Placing implants requires, at the very least, two separate procedures:
- Placing the implant. For this part of the procedure, Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri DDS will refer you to a trusted oral surgeon to insert the implants into your jaw. Healing time for this part of the procedure can take anywhere from 3-6 months as the implant integrates with the surrounding tissue.
- Placing the restoration. Once the implant has healed and the abutment has been inserted, you will return to Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri DDS to have the replacement tooth or teeth (referred to as the “restoration”) positioned.
implant restoration options
Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri can place a number of different restorations depending on each patient’s situation:
- Porcelain or zirconia crowns are the perfect option for a single missing tooth.
- Partial dentures can replace a few missing teeth.
- Bridgework makes a great option if the bone structure underlying the missing tooth is compromised.
- Implant-secured dentures provide the best option for edentulous patients because they offer more stability and better chewing ability over traditional removable dentures.