Which One is Best for Me: Invisalign vs. Braces?
To most people, a smile is important to their overall appearance. It can build confidence, improve health, and contribute to their mental and psychological well-being.
Having straighter teeth can impact a person’s entire life.
Invisalign vs. Braces
Whether an Orthodontist chooses to use Invisalign liners or the traditional braces to correct someone’s smile, understanding that both are tools used to move the teeth will make it easier to compare them against one another.
Invisalign has become increasingly popular in recent years. It is the preferred treatment option for minor crowding, open bites, or compromised periodontal gum tissues.
Invisalign liners are molded specifically to fit your teeth and should be removed when eating.
In our previous blogs, we have covered how Invisalign works and if getting Invisalign is the right choice for you.
You could also contact an Invisalign provider in the Lafayette, LA area to become more familiar with the process beforehand.
Advantages of Invisalign
- Just like the name, Invisalign is virtually undetectable since they are made from a clear plastic material. Other than a person having a slight lisp when wearing Invisalign, they are not noticeable.
- The smooth plastic material that Invisalign is made of, won’t snag on your gums or cheeks making them very comfortable to wear. Plus, they do not apply the pressure braces usually do.
- The Invisalign trays must be removed when eating or drinking, then cleaned thoroughly before popping them back in. The only requirement is that they be worn for 22 out of the 24 hours in a day.
- Invisalign liners are super easy to clean. They can be removed and put back in without a hassle. This allows for regular oral hygiene to be performed daily.
- Since Invisalign is removable, there are no diet restrictions. You can eat and drink whatever you want at all mealtimes since they must be removed to eat.
- Faster results. Depending on how much correcting your teeth need, the treatment option known as Invisalign Express can be completed in a shorter time span than usual (12 months). An Invisalign provider in Lafayette, LA can help explain the difference between regular Invisalign and the express Invisalign.
Braces are the original form of orthodontic treatment. Over the years, they have developed a lot in reliability, effectiveness, and have become a comfortable option in achieving straight teeth.
Brackets are bonded to each tooth and connected by a metal wire to carefully move teeth into their correct position. There are many reasons people choose braces as an option to straighten their teeth.
Advantages of braces
- Cost is a huge factor for some people seeking orthodontic treatment. This can make braces more appealing.
- Braces are suitable for all case types and can help with more severe misalignments.
- Not removable. Braces must be worn 24 hours a day 7 days a week until treatment is completed. Since they are glued to the teeth they cannot be removed until the Orthodontist deems them ready. You can still brush and floss daily as you normally would when wearing braces. Since they are non-removable, it is important to take care of your braces properly.
- Many types. Braces have improved drastically over time, but the same technique is still used. They come in three types: metal, ceramic, or lingual.
Your oral health directly affects your overall health. If your mouth isn’t feeling good, chances are your entire body isn’t feeling good either.
Taking care of your teeth and gums is important to preventing other diseases that could surface due to poor hygiene.
People who have their teeth aligned are making a worthy investment in themselves and their future. Deciding between braces or Invisalign simply comes down to personal choice.
Contacting an Invisalign provider in Lafayette, La can help you to understand better the difference between the two.
Like all things, Invisalign and braces have pros and cons too. If you are in Lafayette, LA, and looking to discuss dental options to correct your smile, schedule your appointment with Maestri Dental today.
With either choice, continuing to be diligent about your oral health care will be more important than ever.
Dr. Gina Liggio Maestri is a Gold Invisalign provider in the Lafayette area, experienced in working with both braces and Invisalign, and can help guide you through the process.
We are dedicated to helping patients improve their oral posture, oral hygiene, and find their perfect smiles.
If you would like to learn more about the various services Maestri Dental provides, visit our website.
Invest in your smile today by contacting Maestri Dental!