The words sedation dentistry can make some people feel scared and uncomfortable. They are not alone in feeling this way. But learning when and why sedation dentistry is used can help people understand the benefits it brings. Anyone who experiences underlying issues is recommended to use sedation dentistry to receive the dental care they otherwise might not be able to get.
Reasons a dentist would recommend you for dental sedation:
- Anxiety prevents you from going to the dentist.
- You are undergoing multiple procedures.
- A strong gag reflex.
- You are afraid of needles.
- You have a low pain tolerance.
There are different levels of sedation dentistry to help with the various levels of anxiety people experience. Once your dentist gets to know you and assesses your specific circumstances, he will then make a sedation recommendation so that he can successfully treat you. Sedation dentistry will make you feel more relaxed to have a smooth, more comfortable overall experience. In most cases, the patient will be awake but on the verge of consciousness.
Types of sedation dentistry:
- Oral sedative. If you need a little bit more help feeling relaxed, oral sedation will do that. It is administered about half an hour before a procedure and works differently for everyone. It is not enough to put you asleep but is a deeper form of sedation. This pill may take a while to wear off, so you will need someone to drive you to and from the appointment.
- Nitrous oxide. This sedation is also known as the laughing gas. It is easier to control, and patients are entirely conscious after it is turned off. This process allows patients to be able to go back to work or school. This type of sedation is safe for all ages.
- IV. This is best for longer or more invasive procedures such as oral surgery or people with extreme anxiety. It is injected into the bloodstream and can be adjusted as needed. It is more powerful than the pill, so it will take longer to wear off. You will need someone to drive you to and from the appointment.
Going to the dentist should be a positive experience because having good oral health care is very important. Plus, having beautiful, white, healthy teeth does boost confidence. Without regular oral care, you could develop serious dental concerns such as gum disease and cavities. Poor oral health care has also been linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, so you should not ignore oral health care.
Good daily dental habits to remember:
- Always brush your teeth in the morning and before bedtime.
- Do not neglect your tongue.
- Brush properly.
- Floss daily.
- Consider mouthwash.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods.
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables.
- Drink more water.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
Finding a dentist with who you are comfortable to discuss your concerns is very important. It helps to set the pace for future dental visits. If you are looking for a dentist near you, Dr. Gina Maestri offers a wide range of services to meet the whole family’s needs. You can trust that Dr. Maestri and her friendly, experienced staff will provide you with the best dental care available. Let them put a smile on your face today.