Summer is officially here and it is time to hit the beach! But before you pack your bags, read these few tips and tricks to make sure your dental hygiene doesn’t suffer over the next couple of weeks. You may be on vacation but your teeth are not so be sure to remember these easy travel tips before you head off for vacay!
- Convenience is Key. Planning for a road trip? Slip a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss into the glove compartment or your purse to freshen up at a rest stop after all the snacking that obviously happens on road trips.
- Don’t Leave with A Toothache. If you’re in pain, make sure you visit your dentist before leaving for your vacation. It could be more serious than you think and you wouldn’t want a dental emergency to happen while you’re away from home.
- Travel Cases Are a No Go. Travel cases for your toothbrush are convenient and seemingly hygienic but it’s actually the opposite. The wet enclosed area is a feeding ground for bacteria to grow so after brushing your teeth, you should let your toothbrush air dry and THEN put it away.
- Flying to your destination? Make sure you remember to drink PLENTY of water, especially with all the snacking that goes on! (Yeah, we know you snuck them on the plane) Keep a toothbrush, floss, and small tube of toothpaste that’s allowed by airlines in your carry on.
- Pack Gum. When traveling, you don’t get to brush your teeth as often as you’d like or need to so make sure to pack sugar free gum! It increases the saliva production which washes away sugars and food particles that can cause cavities.