THAT CAN RUIN MY TEETH?
There are many common AND surprising things that can ruin your teeth that most people do, or consume, every day. Some may be obvious, yet others may be a surprise. These can include food or non-food items.
- Biting nonfood items:
- We often find ourselves fidgeting by biting water bottles, nails, or other plastic. This can lead to gingivitis and tooth loss
- Overdoing it on brushing/flossing
- You can wear away your enamel by over brushing or over flossing. This can ultimately result to receding gums
- Grinding/clenching teeth
- If you have facial or jaw soreness in the morning, you may be doing this in your sleep; it can cause enamel erosion and cracking or chipping of the teeth overtime
- Drug abuse
- Tooth loss and teeth decay can be caused directly by drug abuse
- Poor dental hygiene
- On the other hand, not brushing and flossing at all or very little can also hurt your teeth; gum infections and gum disease can come about with devastating results
- Sour candies
- This is not a surprising one. Sour candy contains all different kids of acid that can ruin your teeth and create cavities by getting stuck in your teeth.
- As you chew bread, your salvia breaks the starches down into sugars and the pieces get stuck in between your teeth
- Ever notice when you drink, how dry your mouth becomes? Saliva is needed to keep your teeth healthy and drinking alcohol contributes to saliva loss
- Carbonated Drinks
- Drinking a large amount of carbonated drinks can be as damaging to your teeth as using methamphetamines
- Chewing on ice can actually damage your enamel and chip or crack your teeth. Once your enamel is gone, it is gone
- The acidity from citrus fruits and drinks can erode enamel and your teeth may become more prone to decay
- Potato Chips
- These are loaded with starch that breaks down into sugar as we eat them that can cause cavities
- Dried fruits
- Because of their stickiness, they get stuck in your teeth leaving behind loads of sugar